Bagong taon, bagong PC, este, bagong install! Bagong taon na at mag-bagong buhay.
Shucks. I finally decided to reformat my PC and start afresh, just in time for New Year. Okay lessons learned:
- Stop downloading freeware.
- Read instructions/disclaimers before installing new software.
- Never trust websites even the legitimate ones when downloading software. (I got hit by numerous trojans and spamware after downloading “keylogger detector” from Download.com!!!).
- Update your anti-virus software.
- Look for a legitimate spybot software (e.g. Search and Destroy).
- Keep in close contact with friends who knows about computers and Internet security. (Read: always ask questions before downloading software from the Internet or installing programs).
- Keep Windows updated and never use unlicensed Microsoft software.
- Why? Because unlicensed software does not give you access to free security updates and software from, er, Bill.
- Patch your operating system with latest updates. (Regularly check your Update Now button to see if there’s something new online).
- BACK UP YOUR FILES. Again, BACK UP YOUR FILES/DOCUMENTS.
- Partition your hard disk before installing new operating system. I did and I have kept my data and operating system separate. So when operating system gets hit by virus, you’re data is safe (with crossed fingers).
- Read up on Internet security or visit websites such as Microsoft’s safe computing website.
- And finally, don’t open those e-mail attachments even if they seem to be coming from people you know.
- Finally, finally, burn important files, documents, photos, etc. onto a DVD or CD for archiving.
- Last and yes, this is the final one: keep all your CD installers at arms reach, especially the Windows XP CD installer (this is important when you have no other choice but to re-format and install every single bit of program into your PC).
HAPPY NEW YEAR AND HOPE YOU DON’T ENDURE WHAT I’M GOING THROUGH RIGHT NOW.