I think by this time I’ve mastered Wordstar 4 or 7? I couldn’t remember which version now. Also at that time I’ve heard about electronic mail, while Bulletin Board Systems (BBS) have caught my fancy. Over at Migs Paraz’ recent blog entry, he already presented a paper on developing commercial Internet in the Philippines.
A year later, I joined the defunct Metropolitan Computer Times, after 3 years of writing medical and health stories at Medical Observer. I think it was in 1998 that I subscribed to hotmail.com, the fastest growing web-based e-mail at that time until it was bought by Microsoft ;-). I eventually switched to Yahoo! mail after getting more spam than e-mail in Hotmail.
1997 was also the year when:*
- May 11 – IBM’s Deep Blue defeats Garry Kasparov in the last game of the rematch, the first time a computer beat a chess World champion in a match.
- June 16 – Radiohead’s landmark third album OK Computer is released.
- June 30 – The first book in the award winning Harry Potter series by J. K. Rowling is published.
- July 15 – Serial killer Andrew Phillip Cunanan shoots fashion designer Gianni Versace to death outside Versace’s Miami, Florida residence.
- July 23 – Digital Equipment Corporation files antitrust charges against chipmaker Intel.
- July 23 – Serial killer Andrew Cunanan commits suicide in a Miami, Florida houseboat.
- August 6 – Microsoft buys a $150 million share of financially troubled Apple Computer.
- August 31 – Diana, Princess of Wales is taken to a hospital after a car crash shortly after midnight in the Pont de l’Alma road tunnel in Paris. She is pronounced dead at 4:00 a.m. that morning.
- September 5 – Mother Theresa of Calcutta dies of heart failure in Kolkata, India.
- September 6 – The funeral of Diana, Princess of Wales takes place at Westminster Abbey, watched by over 1 billion people worldwide.
- November 9 – BBC News 24 is launched.
- November 10 – Telcoms WorldCom and MCI Communications announce a US$37 billion merger to form MCI WorldCom (the largest merger in US history).
- November 11 – The last Pentium 586 MMX cpu (233 MHz) is made (until the Pentium II).
- December 16 – An episode of Pokémon (called Electric Soldier Porygon) in Japan causes 6085 children to have epileptic seizures. The majority of these seizures are later determined to be the result of collective hysteria.
- December 17 – The term “weblog” is coined by Jorn Barger.
(*This list was taken from Wikipedia).